Tuesday 26 May 2009

Liberation Day Live Radio Hustings

Bank Holiday Monday 25th May - London’s African community had a ‘Liberation Day’ celebration. The original event was cancelled after Mayor Boris cut funding. Voice of Africa Radio 94.3fm led by Mr Space Clotty decided to host it instead and ran an evening of entertainment with African food and music. I was asked to do an off the cuff speech to a crown of 200 plus community leaders about the EU and how it affects the UK and Africa. My speech went out live on 94.3fm Voice of Africa Radio.

I told them about the EU being undemocratic and imposing Economic Partnership Agreements on African Nations, preferential status being given and taken away, tariff barriers on their produce and drew the parallel between the EU takeover of UK fishing grounds and the EU fishing fleet scouring Africa’s coast. I sat down to cheers and handshakes to find myself brought back to answer a barrage of questions on UK Independence Party policies including immigration.

Afterwards many of the audience agreed with me on the need for immigration controls. Although a Rastafarian gentleman did criticise my speech and sing rather well about an African Union, many were unconvinced and told me they would be supporting UKIP. I also spoke to Winston MacKenzie, a former boxing champion and independent candidate for Mayor of London who plans to found his own Party next Autumn. Winston made an impressive speech on the way the Blasck vote is being ignored in London and about dealing with youth crime. He was good enough to tell me I had done UKIP a big favour by coming and that in addition to everyone else he would be asking his supporteds to vote UKIP in the Euro Election on June 4th.

No other party sent a representative although all were invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment