Sunday 17 May 2009

Red Hot Call Centre

There has been a huge upsurge in interest in UKIP, due in part to all the main political parties being embroiled in expense scandals in our Westminster Parliament (and the European Parliament). We are up 12% in the polls, topping 19% Nationally on Friday 15th May.

As a result our National call centre at 50 Broadway near St James Park is being swamped with calls and a good candidate gets in there and joins the fight alongside the troops. Thus Friday 15th found me helping to man the phones for the day. All the calls are incoming and the phones ring the moment you finish a call. I expected eight hours of hard graft but in fact there is a lot of banter in the call centre sharing incoming information. Also as a candidate and Brussels researcher I get to answer all those difficult questions about party policy and our regional candidates. People are joining UKIP, making donations, talking about their issues and supplying the bureaucratic nightmare stories that we pass on to help our press office.

Ok I admit I staggered home exhausted but I had had such good fun I had had them put me down for most of next week including some evenings – other engagements permitting. I would urge all members to come and join in especially for the evening shift. This is a big opportunity to beat the number of MEP’s we got elected in 2004. A couple of your hours after work will boost our membership and could really make the difference for some of our regional candidates.

No comments:

Post a Comment