Monday 25 May 2009

MAKING A SONG AND DANCE OF IT - Two New Members for UKIP Bromley Branch

Saturday 23rd May I and my other half – Tracey Adams, set out to Bromley High Street to help out at the UKIP Gazebo. Predictably the Local Tory Council had double booked us. A Euro-Dance troop had turned up and wanted us to move. However as we had set up the UKIP Bromley gazebo over a street bench we politely moved about two feet. When Regional Organiser Lawrence Webb arrived he was concerned that having a series of Croatian circle dances and Bavarian thigh slapping a few feet away would render the Bromley stall pointless. He and Gerrard Batten MEP shortly moved on to New Addington to support Croydon Branch. Tracey and I however stayed at Bromley because we saw the Euro dance troop as a big opportunity – and it was.

The Euro-dancers drew a big crowd and we were able to leaflet hundreds of people many of the eager to vote UKIP. Many dozens of others were open to persuasion. I even leafleted a member of the Euro Dance Troop just to see if I could get her to wave our leaflet whilst dancing. And she did – Enthusiastically as a good Austrian Euro Sceptic.

About halfway through the entertainment the second shift of Bromley members arrived and the Euro-dancers took a rest in favour of a troop of Scots. The bagpipes and the kilts drew an even bigger crowd. Many people assumed they were there on UKIP’s behalf and I told them Bromley Coucil had obviously decided to support us. Just before taking Tracey off for a very late lunch I was able to sign up two new members for Bromley Branch. Result! Many thanks from Tracey and I to Bromley Branch for supporting my campaign - and for a really good day out!

No comments:

Post a Comment