Tuesday 20 April 2010

MEMENTO IN MEMORIAM

Lunchtime on Monday 8th of March, I manage to get down to Croydon Parish Church for the Bernard Weatherill Memorial Lecture by Tony Benn. Bernard was a Croydonian and a former speaker of the House of Commons and a society has been formed in his name. Tony Benn gave a lecture on the State of the Nation and afterwards he took questions. I spotted local MP Andrew Pelling at the back testing the water by announcing himself as an Independent MP and asking a question on business in Croydon. Other candidates followed suit. I managed to get the microphone last in order that my words stuck in peoples minds, but declined to mention my Party since the Bernard Weatherill Society is meant to be non-political. I asked Tony about his views on the EU, and the Great Man gave a reply the gist of which was that he had always opposed it, that it was meant to be an economic community and now it had gotten out of hand, become political and undemocratic and needed to be reformed or stopped.

I thanked Tony and left through the departing crown with people wondering who I was, but well able to work it out since every other prospective candidate seemed to have announce themselves

No comments:

Post a Comment